Monaro Colts headed to finals

Jacob Piper (in Jersey 13) breaks the Tigers line to set up the Colts first try.
Jacob Piper (in Jersey 13) breaks the Tigers line to set up the Colts first try.

Jacob Piper and the Under 18s Monaro Colts have kept their third-place position in Laurie Daley Cup, following a 22 point thrashing of the Macarthur Wests Tigers.

While the Colts had already secured a spot in the finals they were keen to keep their momentum going on a mild day at Camden's Kirkham Oval.

Monaro got off on the front foot following the Tigers first set when a ruck penalty allowed them to get within 10m of the Tigers line.

Piper followed it up with an excellent run but was unable to get his hands free and offload to his centre for what would have been a certain try, forcing a knock-on.

Error riddle sets plagued both sides for the next 10 minutes before both sides calmed their nerves and engaged in set for set football.

Brilliant running from the Colts in the 16th minute saw them put the Tigers on the back foot for the set, however, they were unable to capitalize held up on the line on the 4th tackle followed by an easily defused grubber on the 5th.

It was back to back football again until a short pass from halfback Mitchell Evans to a barreling Piper broke the Tigers line.

Evans in support was able to a short ball back from Piper to put the first points on the board in the 21st minute and adding the extras.

This opened up a string of trys for the Colts with Ty Dowdle crossing in the 31st minute and Tyrel Kimori-Edmond crossing in the 34th, with Evens adding the extras both times.

The Tigers hit back straight after half time scoring through Jude Gomez in the 36th minute following a perfectly weighted kick and favourable bounce.

Harrison Small slotted the extras and it was the Tigers who controlled the play for the 11 minutes before Jibril Elrich crossed for the Tigers second try, with Small adding the extras again.

Unfortunately, that's where the Tigers luck came to an end.

The Colts added two in the 54th minute thanks to a penalty 15m out from the Tigers line and followed it up with a try four minutes later with Dowdle taking a pass back inside following a fast breakaway with Evans again adding the extras.

Colts then wrapped the match up with trys to Ryan Castle in the 61st minute and Kimori-Edmond in the 63rd.