A NSW police spokesman has said senior police are amazed at the number of people not taking heed of the ‘buckle up’ message.
By the third day of Operation Merret, the Easter blitz, 619 people had been issued infringements for not using seatbelts, restraints or helmets properly.
This number is 70 higher than in the same period last year.
Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy of the Traffic & Highway Patrol Command, said he was astounded at the number of people who had chosen not to take a basic safety precaution.
“Wearing seatbelts has been compulsory in NSW since 1971 and the benefits of being properly restrained or wearing helmets in the event of a crash have been well documented,” Mr Corboy said.
A total of 7421infringements, excluding speeding infringements, have been issued since Operation Merret began on March 29, 2018.
A total of 172,425 breath tests were conducted and 113 drink-driving charges laid.
NSW Police have also issued 4,944 speeding infringements.
One person has died.